Thursday, January 13, 2011

January Volunteer Spotlight: Sara Bruhn

This month's volunteer spotlight is Sara Bruhn! Sara was trained in October 2010, and she has since worked at health fairs and our food pantry. Sara did an outstanding job representing The Damien Center for Latino HIV/AIDS Awareness Day at Casa Mateo with her Spanish fluency.

Have you ever held a volunteer position before?
I volunteered sporadically in college…I volunteered for a semester in the program College Mentors for Kids for local schoolkids.

What sparked your interest in volunteering with the Damien Center? How do you hope to serve the community and our clients here at the Damien Center?
I’ve been especially interested in the HIV/AIDS cause ever since I took a class in college that dealt with the social aspects and stigmas associated with HIV/AIDS and I found the Damien Center online while looking for some opportunities for volunteer work after college. I hope to serve the community and our clients by helping staff events, spread awareness, and helping to provide a sense of support to those affected by HIV/AIDS.

What experience(s) would you like to gain from you volunteer position here?
I’d like to gain a more in-depth understanding of how HIV/AIDS affects individuals and societies and how we can band together more as a society to prevent further infections and provide support to those currently affected.

What are some attributes that you feel you can contribute to the Damien Center?
I’m perceptive, a hard-worker, and I speak decent Spanish.

What are your hobbies and interest?
Traveling, foreign affairs, soccer, shopping

No comments:

Post a Comment